Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day twenty nine


Today was Houston's last day.

After my post yesterday things definitely took a turn for the worst. He hadn't had much to eat all day, and his balance continued to get worse.

He had a pretty restless night, he was finding it hard to get comfortable.
We all had a pretty restless night.

He didn't wake up again and ask for food. I got up and he was passed out on the lounge. He then demanded to be taken outside to sit in the sun.
That afternoon when I got home he came and met me at the door and I opened it and allowed him to go out (without his harness or leash!) and he tentatively went out, awkwardly managed the few stairs (was very unsteady) and after about three minutes he headed back up the stairs to go inside.
He spent the rest of the afternoon asleep on his pod.

Although he seemed very much like himself - he'd answer to his name, he appeared to want food and want to go outside - he wasn't enjoying himself and he didn't seem happy.
We knew we had made the right decision, and we also knew we couldn't wait another day.

So, exactly four weeks to the day (and possibly the time?) of his initial consultation, we took him back to the hospital (Sydney University Veterinary Hospital have been amazing during this past month) and had another consult. We were all sure that this was it. Any further tests or drugs would only be delaying the inevitable, and for us that just wasn't good enough anymore.

We had our final hugs and kisses, and then we said goodbye.

I still can't believe that we won't see him again, and we miss him already.
To others he may have just been a cat, or our pet. But to us he was our family and we loved him.

Rest In Peace Houston

6 comments:

  1. I'm crying as I read this. Both of you did EVERYTHING u possibly could for Houston & then some. I totally understand how u feel, we went thru the same thing with 2 dogs, 1 cat & 2 ratties. He was not just a cat, he was ur baby.
    RIP Houston Jared Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kirrily, I'm so sorry! That is just awful, you poor things. My heart goes out to you. And they are never just a pet, they are a member of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kirrily - chris we feel very down-hearted about houston & we all know that it was the right decision that you both made even though you didn`t want to make it,we`re sure houston would thank you both - love you & take care of yourselves

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did what was best for Houston, no doubt about that. RIP Houston, and let the two of you find comfort in all the joy he brought to you over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Houston was not just a cat - he touched my life and I hadn't even met him. I haven't cried so much for a cat I didn't know before.

    Kir and Chris, I am sure he loved you so much, and was so lucky to be a part of your family. He was beautiful.

    Rest in Peach darling Houston. You made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Houston but you sound like you have some wonderful memories of him and will never forget them.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, and taking the time to leave a comment xo