Friday, October 1, 2010

One year on

It's one year on since Houston passed away. I can hardly believe what an effect his presence must have had on my and my wife's lives. We still miss him, when we encounter a situation or object he would have liked or disliked we always ask each other, "you know who would have liked this?." Yesterday we sat down and looked over the photos I had of him which I've saved to my media player and laughed about the funny situations with him and the odd things he did.

I've never actually had a pet of my own. My family had a cat when I was growing up, who lived to be about 18 years old herself. I fortunately got to say goodbye to her about two weeks before she decided for herself she'd had enough.

I cared for Houston every day, fed him, watered him, watched his health, cleaned his litter tray. We hung out together almost every day and night while my wife worked nights and slept days, he curled up beside me in bed whenever I slept, we batted golf balls back and forth to each other and he cried for me whenever I went out the front door and he wanted to see what I was doing. So, yes, I was attached to him and it was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do to ask the vet to end his life. But I did that for him, too, and I was there with him to the very end.

I won't forget him.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. My name is Kirrily, I think your wife's name is the same?? I just saw her twitter account come up and her name is obviously noticeable to me (someone I follow RT'd one of her tweets).

    Anyway. I came to your blog via Twitter. And I am floored at what I see. Our boy, Rusty, was identical to your Houston. He was my husband's cat and we had to ask the vet to end his life because of cancer as well. We both still miss him profoundly, a very very special cat (I am not a cat person, we have another cat now and she just does not move me at all, poor thing!). We have dogs, who will also be really missed when they go. But Rusty, he was something else. I even have dreams about him coming to visit.

    Special cats. I showed my husband Houston's pictures, he can't believe the likeness either (it's the markings and colours more than anything). So, just wanted to let you know :) All the best. From, Another Kirrily!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, and taking the time to leave a comment xo